Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Connected!

Tonight I had my host brother David take me out to get a phone. Finally I have a phone to use in Peru! It cost 59 soles (about 20 US dollars) For 20 minutes and 20 messages. I can reload anytime, it is like an American Tracfone. On the way to the supermarket, where I had to get the phone, we took a taxi, but on the way back we took a bus. The buses are small and only hold about 20 people but they are cheaper than taxis. I don't really know the streets very well though so I believe that I prefer a taxi, even if they are more expensive!

Also, today I had to walk to UPC by myself! I was a bit scared at first but the walk wasn't bad. I made sure that I was aware of my surroundings. I was told to look confident and not look like a foreigner... I tried my best! Also, I got my UPC id card today! Now instead of going through the guards and having to show my passport, I only need to show my id to the people standing at the gates! The campus is beautiful with trees everywhere. It is a gorgeous campus!

I feel like my Spanish is already improving. On our way to get my phone, David and I talked in Spanish and he would correct me when needed. I am learning new vocabulary that I will need to use during conversation. In class today, which is a class with a Peruvian professor that only speaks Spanish, I was a bit lost. I am hoping that it gets better with time! I have been here for four days and feel like I am already learning so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment