Sunday, January 15, 2012

1 week in!

Let me just say… that it feels like I have been here in Lima for a lot longer than a week! Not including today, I have gone out in the town every day. I have been to many fun places, such as the Indian Market in MiraFlores. I have been there three times and seen something new every time I have gone!

On Friday, I ventured to MiraFlores with a group of students in my program. We walked around Larcomar (The mall that is built into the cliff) for a bit and then found a way down to the beach. There were stairs after stairs after stairs! The way down was much easier than the way up! I know for a fact that I got my workout Friday! The beach at MiraFlores is mostly made of rock, which is very difficult to walk on and hurts your feet. Although the rock shore wasn’t what we were expecting, we had a wonderful time sitting on the edge of the beach and getting our tan on! (Mine was more of a burn…)

Last night, I ventured out with two other girls and my two host brothers to see Sherlock Holmes at a nearby movie theater. The showing was at 7 and it finished about 9. As you may know, at 9:00 it is dark outside. My host brothers and I took the other two girls home before we came home. We walked quite a ways and took three buses. On our way to take the first girl home, we were accompanied by a Peruvian police officer because a little ways in front of us there was a suspicious man. It was quite freaky but I felt safe when he was walking with us! Then we took the other girl home. We originally took the wrong bus but we were able to find the right bus and she got home safely. After about two hours, my host brothers and I also made it home safely! My first Peruvian adventure at night… I do not believe that I could ever become fond of them. The buses here in Lima are different than the United States. There are a lot more Cambies (I am not sure how you spell it) which are small buses with about 15 seats where there are always people crouched in the aisles due to overcrowding. Although the buses are always overcrowded and are quite dirty, they are cheaper than taking taxis and generally safer. I am getting more comfortable with riding on these buses every day that I am here.

Since there are so many little everyday things that are different, I am still having a hard time getting into some habits. Since you have to turn the hot water heater on, I have forgotten already and had to take yet another cold shower. Also, in Peru you are not supposed to flush toilet paper down the toilet. I remember over half the time but when I forget and accidently throw it in I am not about to fish it out! I am getting better every day and eventually it will become a habit. Slowly but surely I am adjusting to the culture that I have immersed myself in.
Brenda, Sarah, Me, and Adriana at the Indian Market!

La Costa Verde! So beautiful!

UPC - The university that I will be taking classes at while I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment