Monday, April 9, 2012

Mixed Feelings


Three weeks from now I will be sitting in the Jorge Chávez International Airport waiting for my flight back to the United States. I am beyond excited to return home to my family, friends, and Dan, but at the same time I am sad at what I am leaving behind. Even though I feel that I could never permanently reside in a large city, I have come to love the surroundings in Lima. There is always something to do, the harder part is finding someone to do it with you. I have enjoyed the group of 20 that I traveled here to Lima with and have made a couple true friends.

Amy, Ashley, Me, and Steph. This picture was taken before we took a bus up to Machu Picchu. These are the girls that I am going to be traveling to Puno/Iquitos with!

Amy and Me at Machu Picchu. I am going to miss this girl!

It has been summer during my stay in Perú and I have enjoyed being able to travel to the beach on weekends. The cool breeze as well as the soft sand in between my toes has been relaxing. Swimming in the ocean with large waves has also been a highlight of the beach. Before now, the largest waves I can remember were in the wave pool at Island Oasis (sad, I know).  Although I love the warm weather and being able to wear sundresses/tank tops frequently, I do miss Nebraska winter. I never thought I would say that I miss the bitter cold, snowy winters, but now I am not ashamed to admit that I do!

Sunset at the beach :)

Another part of Perú that I will miss will be the souvenirs that I can buy here. I have been to the Indian Market multiple times and every time I go I find something that I fall more in love with. The handicrafts are stunning as well as the colorful designs on purses, clothes, etc. If I had an unlimited supply of money/packing space, I would buy up the whole market!

Most of all, I am going to miss my Peruvian family. When I first arrived I felt out of place and as if I was imposing on their lives. I would constantly go to bed thinking that this is going to be the longest four months of my life. I just wanted to go home. Feeling out of place has since changed. I have come to think of my host brothers as my own brothers and I will miss them very much when I come home. My host brother David and I joke around constantly, talk about life, and confide in one another. I had always wondered what it would be like to have a brother and my Peruvian host brothers have shown me what I was missing. They welcomed me into their home and I appreciate it greatly that they let me become a part of their lives.

Kevin, David, and Me out to see Sherlock Holmes. Note: David shrunk to our level, he is actually quite a bit taller.

I have two more trips before I head north. I will be going to Puno for 4 days, where I will see Lake Titicaca, and Iquitos for 5 days, where I will be immersed into the Amazon Rainforest. These trips will take place April 20-28. Perú has become my temporary home over the past four months and although I am going to be extremely sad when I leave, I am also going to be excited to return to my life and everyone at home. I constantly think about getting off that plane at the Grand Island airport. I think of what it will be like to reunite with the people I care about most and it brings tears to my eyes. I hope you all are ready for me to step off that plane on May 1 at about 2:35pm because I AM READY TO COME HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment