Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Comida!


This past Friday I was invited by a friend to come cook some traditional Peruvian food. I love food so of course I said yes! We first went to the supermarket to purchase the ingredients for our creations. Once we purchased our ingredients we were off to start cooking!


I will begin with the eh, so-so dishes before I move on to the really good ones! One of the dishes we made is called Anticucho. For those of you that do not know what this is, it is cow heart. I was told that it is very tasty and tastes like steak. I beg to differ. It wasn’t the worst thing I have ever tasted, but not the best either.  Another dish we made was Causa de Pollo. This consisted of a casserole type dish: one layer of mashed potatoes with hot sauce mixed in, then a layer of chicken, mayonnaise, and onions, then another layer of potates, etc. On top of the casserole were avocado pieces and mayonnaise decorations. According to the Ashley and Adriana (American girls that I went with) this dish tasted like American Potato Salad. This dish wasn’t too bad. My favorite food dish was Causa Enrollada. There was a thin piece of chicken with ham and cheese, then it was rolled up into a pinwheel and dipped in egg, flour, and a seasoning that was crushed bread. It was fried and then cut into little pieces. Tasted wonderful! With our meal we had Jugo de Maracuya. At first I was hesitant, but when I took a drink it tasted like a mix between mango and orange juice! It was also wonderful!

On the Left Plate: On top of the rice is the Anticucho (cow heart), there is a piece of corn on the cob and the Causa Enrollada (the pinwheels). On the Right Plate: Causa de Pollo. The Jugo de Maracuya is not pictured as I was still finishing my lemonade :)
Lena, the Peruvian girl that invited us, and Pablo, the “chef” that helped us cook, were really fun to get to know and hang out with! Time to try some more traditional Peruvian dishes… Wish me luck!

I am in the back. Left to right: Pablo (the "chef), Lena (Peruvian), Adriana,  and Ashley



No comments:

Post a Comment